Saturday, June 17, 2006

Dental update and comic reviews (SPOILERS FOR CIVIL WAR #2)

I've been holding off on this post until Carl picked up his copy of Civil War #2. I didn't want to spoil it for him (even though the Washington Post and other news organizations were running the story before the book came out). Now that he has the book it will be his own fault if he keeps reading this post.

To update you on my dental condition (yes, I realize that that sounded a lot like mental condition) first. I got two fillings on Thursday, one was replacing an old one and one was on a new very large cavity. Afterwards the dentist told me that he wasn't sure if the cavity was deep enough that the filling he just put in would press on my nerve or not. If it did I would be in a lot of pain and would need a root canal. He said it should show in the following couple of days. Well, it's been two days and I'm still waiting to see. No pain yet but I have a feeling it'll kick in at some point. But fingers crossed. I think the worst part is the waiting to see if it's going to start hurting.

Anyhow, onto this week's books. We had Civil War #2 and I picked up Hip Flask: Unnatural Selection (an old book but I'm considering picking up the new Elephantmen series). So here goes (spoilers abound).

Civil War #2: The big event that Marvel leaked to news outlets including the Washington Post and Howard Stern, Spidey unmasks himself at a press conference saying "My name is Peter Parker and I have been Spider-Man since I was 15 years old. Any questions?" Wow! Now I've read some responses ranging from "Oh my god they killed the character." to "Oh it'll be retconned (ie. go back to nobody knowing his secret identity) in a month or two" and even to "Oh, big deal". That last reponse baffles me, this is Spider-Man. This is the character that took the notion of having a secret identity to the next level and put that identity to the forefront of the story. Other characters like Iron Man, Captain America, and even Daredevil don't have as much riding on their secret identities (two of which are no longer secret and the third is hanging by a wire). For Spidey to unmask is huge. So how do I feel about it? I really couldn't tell you. One minute I worry that they've taken too much away from the character that they'll eventually have to retcon it and the other minute I think of the possible immediate story ideas you could do with this. But no matter what, it's huge.

As for the book itself, more solid artwork, an interesting storyline, and the Marvel universe dividing. I can't wait to see what's next.

Hip Flask: Unnatural Selection. I wasn't as blown away by the art as some people seem to be. I didn't have any problems with it, it was cool and all but not mind blowing. The story, kinda interesting so far but there wasn't enough in this one issue for me to form a complete opinion of it. There was enough to make me want to read the next book but now the problem becomes finding that next issue in the back issues. I suppose I could look into ordering a copy from their website. :)

Oh well, until next week true believers.

No comments: