Friday, January 25, 2008

Weekly Comic Reviews for January 23rd, 2008 -- SPOILERS

It was definitely a busy week for me comics-wise... At least by my standards. Not only did I have 5 comics waiting for me this week (Astonishing X-Men, She-Hulk, Mice Templar, Freddy VS Jason VS Ash, and Ultimates) I also decided to pick up the third Buffy Omnibus. Then, to top things off, I find 3 Strangers in Paradise pocket books and an Ex Machina TPB waiting for me in my mailbox when I get home. So I have quite a bit of reading to do.

Astonishing X-Men #24 -- The last regular issue for Whedon and Cassaday before the Giant Sized issue hits. My biggest complaint about this book remains the delay between issues. After devouring each issue I'm left waiting for however long for the next part of the story. And yet again, we get some amazing work by both Whedon and Cassaday. I've been turned off by the X-Men for quite a while but this book is what I've been looking for all this time. Great characterization with depth, amazing dialogue, phenomenal art, and a cool story with twists and turns. And most importantly, a core X-Men story with every character getting the chance to shine. Honestly, I don't know what else I can say about this book. I've already gushed over it with each issue. So yes, obviously this issue makes my recommended reading list.

Ultimates 3 #2 -- After my less than positive review of the last issue I wasn't expecting much here but I was actually pleasantly surprised to a degree. First up, I didn't find the colours as washed out or at least they weren't as noticeable this time. I also didn't find the story as cluttered and messy as the previous issue. I thought the Hawkeye/Spider-Man thing was "meh" and my first thought was "why didn't Spidey's senses go haywire when Hawkeye shot him in the back?" but it didn't ruin the issue or anything. Thor's explanation of his speach change was a bit of a low point and I didn't really feel it felt right but again, it's not a big issue for me. Overall, I'm actually a little more interested in where the story is going though I groaned when Wolverine made his appearance on the last page. Yay! Another Wolverine appearance. So yeah, the books slides up a bit into "possible recommended reading" range but I'm still taking a wait and see approach to it. We have 3 more issues of this story to either keep the upward climb going or stumble badly.

She-Hulk #25 -- Peter David continues to put his stamp on this book. And as Shulkie is hell bent on staying out of the hero business (while at the same time tracking down a terrorist bomber) she gets pulled in to an intergalactic powder-keg (thanks in some part to her new Skrull friend). Though I probably should have seen the big twist coming I didn't and I have to applaud Peter for that. And I have to admit, I laughed at the intergalactic bounty-hunter's remarks about women. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing for me. It wasn't a break out issue or anything but I'm sure Peter David fans as well as She-Hulk fans would enjoy it. Plus, it's just good reading. Then came the first mini-story. I was pretty surprised to see the main story end so quickly and get thrown into this. At first I wondered what the heck it was (having no knowledge of "Man-Elephant" prior to this). It's not an exceptional story yet it does seem to make a very forgettable character a little more interesting with slightly more depth to him. I'm actually looking forward to seeing more of him all of a sudden. The last story now, a totally tongue in cheek She-Hulk story. This one I could have done without. I'm sure some people will get a laugh from it but it seemed more like a "What the..???" sorta cartoon strip. I wonder what was going through Peter's head when he knew he had to bring up John Byrne's She-Hulk. So in the end, this book does edge onto my recommended reading list. I know fans of Dan Slott's She-Hulk may feel they are missing out but I think Peter David's done a great job of continuing the character with his own style.

Freddy VS Jason VS Ash #4 -- I keep forgetting the order of names here and I'm sure I've mixed them up in previous reviews. Anywho, I kinda liked some parts of this issue. Ash being attacked by lots of little Freddy hands fits in so well with both of their stories. That seemed to be a nice touch. But overall, I just don't think they've really nailed the character of Ash. And artistically I felt this book was a bit of a letdown. Some of it may have been the inking. Some shots of Freddy seemed a little flat with thin inking lines. And Ash just didn't seem to be very consistent. It wasn't a huge disappointment but I don't find I'm enjoying this series as a whole as much as I think I should. It doesn't make my recommended reading list but I'm sure that doesn't matter to the fans that are already reading this series. Though I should point out I'm not saying it's that bad, I just think it has potential that it's not living up to and could be better in some parts.

Mice Templar #3 -- It took me a little while to remind myself of the back story here. And some of that back story (the mythological stuff) I still don't remember. But this was a pretty solid issue. The art was good, the story is building, the characters are interesting, and it has all the pieces of something great. I'm intrigued by it though I still find it slightly confusing trying to distinguish which mouse is which (I'm glad they have a tendency to repeat each others' names when talking). But it's an interesting story so far and makes my recommended reading list.

So that's it for this week. How about a story of my own now. No, not a comic story but a real events story. After picking up my comics I was waiting to cross the street when a woman pulling a cart of her belongings asked me for money. I said "No sorry, I don't have any money." Okay, it was a lie as I did have some money but I can't afford to give money to everyone that asks. Since I was stuck at the light she decided to persist asking for money for a hotel room. I thought that was rather odd, I've been asked for money for coffee or food but a hotel room? I said again "No sorry, I don't have any money." She replies "F**k you! I hate you too a**h**e!" and begins crossing the street (in front of traffic). I get a little upset so I replied "I'm sorry, I just don't have any money." She yells back "Yes you do! Go to the bank and get me some a**h**e!" I'm ashamed to say I found the event somewhat comical despite the sadness of knowing that there are people living on the street.

No comments: