Sunday, December 22, 2013

Ending 2013 With My 500th Post

I guess I missed my recap of Ottawa Pop Expo. So, in brief, it was a fun time but not really up there with Ottawa Comiccon. The crowds were a lot smaller (which many people felt was better as Ottawa Comiccon is packed and it can be hard to do any decent shopping), there were fewer merchants (both in terms of stores and artists), the comic artist section was weak, and the celebrities were very Walking Dead oriented. They say they want to move away from comics for this con to differentiate it from Ottawa Comiccon. I don't see why they feel that need, it's not like Ottawa Comiccon is that comics heavy. But in the end, it was a fun weekend. Some friends got to participate in the cosplay masquerade (a roommate of a friend won best in show) and it will all be part of an episode of Heroes of Cosplay. My sister-in-law got to meet Tom Felton. And I ended up buying artwork from Marco Rudy and Adrian Alphona as well as grabbing the Hot Toys Hulk figure, a very expensive purchase but after the year I've had I felt like I deserved to treat myself. It'll be interesting to see what they do next year, if they go ahead with doing another year. And I wonder if they could move it up a bit to avoid the winter weather.

Anyways, in terms of comics this year I've bought a lot but haven't even had the time to read them. I'd like to do a "best of" list but I'm still making my way through some of the best of 2012. So I guess I'll focus on what I'm looking forward to reading in 2014. My reading list has gotten quite long and includes Mouse Guard, Elephantmen, Indestructible Hulk, Invincible, Sixth Gun, Atomic Robo, Rachel Rising, Hawkeye, Saga, Manhattan Projects, Chew, Astro City, Powers, Fables, and Swamp Thing. I've also been picking up Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel and Faith but will most likely be dropping those two soon. I may check out the Serenity comic coming out but I don't have high hopes. I'm also looking forward to Miracle Man, Marvel's last Wizard of Oz book, and any Dark Crystal books that happen to come along (if they do). It will be sad to see Fables come to an end but I guess it's better to end now than to drag it on too long (though some may feel that it could/should have ended after the war). I'm also still waiting on the final Locke and Key hardcover for that one to finish, the final issue has already come out (nobody spoil it for me).

But getting back to 2013, although it wasn't a great year for me personally there were highlights. Ottawa Comiccon was great. Fan Expo Canada was a fun time. Ottawa Pop Expo was a nice surprise to end the year. And I learned that I have a nephew/niece on the way for 2014. And I'm slowly making my way back to getting the Bluenoser going again.

So I hope you had a great year, are having a happy holiday season, and 2014 is even better for you.

No comments: