Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Slipping in another comic review with Spoilers

After picking up the Runaways digests 3, 4 and 5 last week I finally got to read 4 and 5 over the weekend. So here's a quick review of the two of them:

The series continues to be a fun read. The reveal of the traitor in the 3rd digest didn't bother me as much as I expected to which was rather odd. I had thought I'd be upset knowing that one of the team betrayed the others and was obviously going to be leaving but when it was revealed I was surprised but not heart broken. I felt bad for the rest of the team though, especially Nico. Some things that kinda irked me a bit is just how bad every adult is made out to be in this book. Sure, I kinda get that this book is all about the children and how the adults constantly under estimate them and all that but you get Iron Man, Captain America, Wolverine and Spider-Man all looking absolutely ridiculous and very non-heroic. I was a little surprised at how quickly Cloak thought about going to the Runaways for help seeing as how long he's been around and how many other allies he's made but I guess the Runaways were on his mind anyways when he took that shot to the head. The latest addition to the team (another "child" of a villian) was an interesting storyline.

Art-wise I still prefer the original artist over the fill-in more manga style stuff. And the covers still look very nice (even if the odd one has a very different take on the female characters). So will I be picking it up regularly? Not yet. I'm still doing the digest thing. But how about when Whedon takes over? Not quite sure about that. I'll definitely be looking for a TPB or digest version but I'm not sure if I'm ready to add this to my monthly books just yet.

No comments: