Friday, November 10, 2006

Comic Reviews for November 8th, 2006

It was a slow week for me with only one book coming out, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest II #1. But hopefully this weekend or early next week I'll be able to put up my review of Frank Miller's 300. But let's stick to the comic at hand:

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest II #1 -- I wasn't sure if I was going to collect this series or not but since I had put the first one on my list they put this one in and I figured why not give it a try. The first series was interesting so who knows. It continues the Avengers story from the first one, showing the behind the scenes stuff that the original Avengers series didn't. The stuff that happens in between their battles, the politics, and a lot of character stuff. At this point, the Vision has just been added to the team and there's some interesting stuff going on (the government getting involved, questioning Pym's leadership abilities, Cap and Thor off on their own, etc, etc). The writing of this book is good. The characterizations and the overall intrigue is cool. And it's neat how they interject it into the Avengers' history. And it's interesting that you really don't get much action yet it's still intense. The art is good and it's dynamic enough to keep you interested despite being mostly talking scenes. Though I had no clue who AIM was going after until someone said that the Super Adaptoid was hijacked (part of this is my lack of knowledge of Avengers history and the Super Adaptoid). So all in all it was an enjoyable book. Though to be honest, if it wasn't in my box I probably could have passed on it. But that would have meant nothing to read last night (other than 300 of course). :)

No comments: