Monday, May 26, 2008

Weekly Recap... Sorta

I was trying to come up with what I wanted to talk about in my weekly recap but then I realized I don't really have much to talk about and listing comic news just for the sake of doing so seems kinda pointless. So instead, I'll do something equally pointless by listing off what I have been or will be reading in the TPB or webcomic or novel/other books front.

On the TPB front I polished off another volume of Fables (volume 4). I'm slowly getting more and more interested in this series. I enjoyed it from the start but wasn't sure I wanted to stick with it. I'll be picking up at least volume 5 and maybe 6. It's not in my "must read" territory yet but who knows. Right now I'm reading Ex Machina, Y: The Last Man, Invincible, and the Walking Dead in TPB format but with the first two being limitted, Fables may get added to the list. I finished the first two volumes of Criminal, it was really good as well but I don't think I'll be sticking with it. As good as it is it's just not my cup of tea. Though if I'm really looking for something to read I might go back for another taste. I just started Bone, the one volume edition. I think I'm going to break it up into chunks though, read 100 or so pages and then wait a week before going back for the next 100 pages. Because at 1300+ pages it's a bit of a beast. I'm considering picking up "Black Hole" after noticing it in Chapters so if you have any opinions on it let me know.

As far as webcomics go, I'm still rather hoping Celadore wins the Zuda Competition. As far as Zuda comics go I'm only reading Bayou and High Moon regularly and Pray for Death semi-regularly so I'd like to add Celadore to that list. One of the latest DrunkDuck comics to make it to my "favorites" list is AHAB, mostly because of the distinctive art and storytelling.

And last but not least, the non-comic books I'm reading or will be reading. I'm slowly making my way through "When Science Goes Wrong" by Simon LeVay. I think the title is somewhat misleading and it's pretty weird reading stories about people who lost their lives in these tragedies, I don't know what it says about me to be doing so. But they are interesting stories. After that I have "Kirby: The King of Comics", "The Incredible Hulk" novelization (which I will be waiting until after seeing the movie before reading), and "The Children of Hurin". I haven't decided the order yet.

So much reading, so little time. :) At least my Sunday ball hockey is done for the summer (my team ended up finishing in last place) so I'll have a bit more time on my hands. Feel free to let me know what you're reading or what you think I should be.

No comments: