Friday, July 11, 2008

Weekly Comic Reviews for July 9th, 2008

It was a really slow week for me with only one book coming out, Marvel Adventures Hulk #13. So let's get to it shall we...

Marvel Adventures Hulk #13 -- I found it rather fitting that issue #13 deals with something "supernatural", in this case having all the Marvel characters turned into mummies. First up, I liked the art. Sure, it was cartoony at times but it fit the fun nature of the book. And there was one panel that really made me happy but I don't want to spoil it by saying what it was. And for the most part, it was a fun story with some humorous moments. The Hulk's moment of brilliance (deducing a way to stop the villain even though I don't know how he overheard the villain's explanation of his power given the scenario) seemed rather odd given his low level of intelligence earlier but I guess that was just the Banner part shining through. All in all, a fun issue.

One thing I found funny was that it took me a minute before I got my head into "Marvel Adventures" mode. So when I first saw Cap and Thor I thought "Hey, Cap's dead!" and "Hey, Thor has a new costume!" It took me second before I smacked myself upside the head. I guess I was just really tired last night. :)

So yep, that's all the monthlies I bought yesterday. As for other reading, I got volume 8 of The Walking Dead on Monday and WOW! I did not see all that coming. I really do like that series but I think I'll stick to the TPBs as it doesn't seem to have a good schedule to it and the story is so decompressed I think I'd go crazy between issues, waiting to be able to read the full storyline. It's the same with Kirkman's other series, Invincible (did I mention a while back that I read volume 9 of that and enjoyed it? If not, I am now). I'm just finishing up "Kirby: King of Comics" and planning on getting "Strange and Stranger: The World of Steve Ditko".

I also have a stack of other non-comics to get through and I just started a political book (but I'll avoid going into politics here). If only work didn't get in the way of things. :)

And now I'm off to order more books (Fables volume 10 for instance).

No comments: