Friday, May 22, 2009

Weekly Comic Reviews for May 20th, 2009

Have to make these reviews pretty quick, too much work to be done today (long story).

Planet Skaar Prologue -- I have high hopes for the Planet Skaar storyline and I thought this book was pretty good at giving us a look at what's to come. Though it felt a little weird being labelled a "Prologue", it felt pretty much like an issue 1. I thought the art was a little weak, some panels were good and others looked off. I'm still trying to figure out if Reed was stretching his face for one panel (his face seems to change a lot in the next). But despite some weakness to it, the art did tell the story fairly well (though there was a panel/scene or two that could have been more clear). Overall I'm really looking forward to it. And yes, I'll be picking up Pak's Incredible Hulk but I'm still not picking up Loeb's Hulk series.

Mysterius the Unfathomable #5 (of 6) -- Sometimes reading this series feels like a whirlwind of events as you jump through settings and times. Characters come and go, and I find it a lot to keep track of. I'm starting to wonder if this series would be better read as a TPB. I did find that I was pretty disappointed with some of the set up in this book, I don't want to spoil it so I can't really say more than that. I'm still enjoying this book for the most part but I won't be too disappointed to see it come to an end, I don't think I'd stick with it if it was ongoing. Though maybe if it was ongoing it could be more episodic.

Stephen Colbert's Tek Jansen #5 (of 5) -- We get the conclusion of the storyline... Wait, was there a storyline that I was supposed to be keeping track of? Really? Anywho, I wasn't really reading this for a deep story, it was just pure Colbert fun. So if you don't like Colbert, stay away. But I got some chuckles through the series and I thought it was pretty fun.

Angel 21 -- While Mysterius felt like a whirlwind I'm not sure what this one felt like. So many times I found myself wondering if I missed a page or something. It jumps around, the writing seems a bit disjoint, and the art can't tell enough of the story to cover for it. I think this book needs a second lookover to pace it out better so the story flows and the reader can follow along and get more engaged. As it is, I feel like I'm just seeing snippets of something going on, none of which ends up seeming important. Though to be honest, I've already decided I'll be dropping this series after the next issue.

No comments: