Friday, April 11, 2008

Weekly Comic Reviews for April 9th, 2008 -- SPOILERS

Jumping right into it...

Serenity #2 (of 3) -- This book seemed to be a bit of a let down for me. Or perhaps I was just expecting too much. Although the art wasn't bad, I didn't find it quite as consistent with the likenesses as the first issue. And there were parts that left me wondering "huh" (like when Wash shut off the lights somehow or what was going on with those guys looking at Kaylee through a magnifying glass). But all in all, I felt this issue fell into the pitfall that many middle books do, having not really much meat to it as you bridge the gap from the first issue to the big climax in the third. And in the end, you feel like so much could be cut. The big splash pages and such of their dreams of what to do with their money for instance. After having said that, it wasn't a terrible issue but it's only part of the story and a pretty small and routine part at that. I'm hoping for something better with the big finale of the next issue. Overall, the series is worth checking out for Firefly/Serenity fans but it may be best to read it all at once.

Marvel Adventures Hulk #10 -- That's odd, I somehow missed issue 9. >:( Anywho, fortunately for me this book doesn't really have much of an ongoing story to it. In this one we get the Hulk meeting up with Juggernaut (not really important how). There's the required fight and such. All in all, it's still a good book for the younger audience or for Hulk fans just wanting a simple story. As such, you have to take things with a grain of salt. Yes, the Hulk doesn't put up that great a showing against Juggernaut but it's just part of the story. My only real problem with this issue was the cover, it just didn't sell what was on the inside. It was a little too "stylized" for my liking. On the regular Hulk book it would be one thing, with this book aimed at a younger audience (and having a slightly cartoony interior art style to it) I just didn't think it was the right way to go. Other than that, I'm happy to see a quality Hulk book aimed at kids.

Terry Moore's Echo #2 -- Talk about decompression, it almost felt like we weren't much further along after issue 2 than when we started. There were baby steps to furthering the story but a lot of the book is dedicated to filling in a bit more of Julie's life (such as a bit more on her relationship with her husband and the whole divorce thing going on). I really enjoyed Terry's work on Strangers in Paradise and he's an amazing storyteller but you have to be ready for a long term investment as some things are pretty spread out. I'm enjoying it so far but I can definitely understand waiting for a TPB on this one.

Also, the April Zuda competition is a go. I've read the candidates and I'm letting them sink in before reviewing them or voting. Hopefully I'll post some reviews soon. There is some interesting stuff this month but I think last month's selection was a bit stronger for me.

No comments: