Monday, April 21, 2008

Weekly Recap

I really do try to get these recap posts done on Sunday but life just has a way of getting in the way of things.

I guess the big news of the week is the New York Comic-Con. Valerie D'Orazio at Occasional Superheroine and David Gallaher of High Moon are just two of the many MANY people who are there and will be blogging about it. I keep talking about going to one of the big conventions but never doing anything about it. I think next year I'm going to make a point of going to the New York Comic-Con. I've never been to New York and I'm not sure who I'd go with but it really is time I stop talking and do it.

I was pretty surprised by the news of a Mortal Kombat VS DC game coming out. I'm not a big gamer but I'm curious to see how this one plays out. They say they are working in story elements to make it work (incorporating magic to weaken Superman and such) but are we really going to see someone ripping out Superman's still beating heart? Or Batman's spine?

Some more pics from the GI Joe movie got leaked out. I realize that they had to change quite a few things about the appearance of the characters, and it made sense that many of them would wear similar body armour suits (with the military, you typically don't get individually designed suits), but the newer shots of Snake Eyes bug me even more. First up, with all the characters wearing black he doesn't really stand out now. And hopefully they only wear those black suits for night time ops and such. But what seemed odd was Snake Eyes' face. Instead of it being a mask it looks like his actual face is painted black (at least around the nose and mouth). That seems very weird to me, are they saying this guy actually has jet black skin for some reason or that he takes the time to paint himself black? I know, I should wait and see.

And the last tidbit that I can think of is the new "The Spirit" teaser. Again, I'm trying not to make a final judgement on it just yet but so far, I don't particularly like everything I'm seeing. It just seems to be Frank Miller doing a "revamp" of the character and not really doing "Will Eisner's 'The Spirit'". So the fanboy in me is a little disappointed to be straying from the established characters, going so far as to describe "Silken Floss" (a character with a PhD and MD in the comic) as a "punk secretary and frigid vixen" for the film. The trouble is that I think Frank Miller's version stands a good chance of outperforming the movie I'd like to see made. And I think the narration they went with (especially describing the city as his mother and his lover) just seems a little off.

I guess that's it for now. See ya later in the week with my comic reviews.

No comments: