Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Spider-Girl goes "digital"

So Marvel has announced that Spider-Girl will be continuing online via its Digital Comics Unlimited thingmajig. Could this be the start of something? Could we be seeing more and more books that aren't selling as well start moving online? And would it be seen as a viable money maker? And could this have saved some of the Marvel books I liked that were eventually cancelled?

I think we'll just have to wait and see. I will say this however, I do like that Marvel is trying to find a way to keep these books alive in some form or another. Though I'm sure someone will see it as them trying to get Spider-Girl fans shelling out for a subscription even though they only want that one book. But you can't please everyone. :)

A few things from the interview with Tom DeFalco:

"Marvel.com: Will the digital format change anything about the way you plot or script your stories?

Tom DeFalco: Not at first, but, as time goes on, I'll be experimenting with the format. As far as I'm concerned, the digital format is like the early days of television. It took the writers, actors and directors a little while to learn what could and could not be done with their new format. At first, everyone treated television a lot like radio, but then people realized that the actors could actually move around and that visual action could be used to advance the story. We're still learning what the digital format can do. You should ask me the same question a year from now."

I love that answer!

And...

"Tom DeFalco: I think it's time to introduce a whole bunch of new villains and supporting characters."

That was one thing I had said about the series before, I didn't like the Spider-Man foes or their knock offs that much. I'd be more interested in seeing something new.

And a final thought of my own, on the one hand I really hope they maintain top notch talent on whatever books they go the digital route on. On the other hand, I think it could open up the door to Marvel to possibly showcase newer talent.

No comments: