Friday, March 06, 2009

Weekly Comic Reviews for March 4, 2009

It's rather funny that while I'm trying to trim down my purchases I end up having busier than normal weeks for me. But it was only 4 books.

Hulk Broken Worlds #1 (of 2) -- Yeah, I'm still trying to get my Hulk-fix after dropping the Jeph Loeb series. So maybe the delays with that series are helping me as I get to pick up these filler issues. This issue varied... A lot. From the classic look/feel of Roy Thomas/Herb Trimpe to the Hulk 2099 story. It's 4 short stories, all well done in their own unique way. And for long time fans of the character who may want to see more of a specific time in the Hulk's life (Future Imperfect, House of M, Jarella, etc) or a certain personality then they are good little teasers. Obviously for non-Hulk fans the history will most likely be lost on you. Still, I actually recommend picking it up.

Ultimate Wolverine VS Hulk #3 -- The wait is over. :) To be honest, this particular issue didn't work for me all that well. The jumping back and forth in the story just seemed to take me out of it and yes, we get it, he ripped Wolverine in half. The book just seems to focus too much on that, trying to make it "the" cool moment. The way I see it is that it happened, it was shocking, let's move on and not jump back and forth in the story so we can keep centering on it. The art was great though with a high energy level. But despite my dislike on how the story is being presented, I am liking the story if we could just get it moving. So although this particular issue felt like a little bit of a letdown I'm still looking forward to the rest of the series.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer #23 -- I had mixed feelings about this issue as well. On the one hand, I don't really care for the whole "Harmony goes public" storyline so far. And the rogue slayer just doesn't seem all that interesting to me. On the other hand, I really liked the Andrew story elements here, the art was its usual high caliber, and we get some more Buffy fun. It's still a good series for Buffy fans.

Echo #10 -- I know, I know, this book has been on the chopping block for a while now. Overall I rather like it but I'm really thinking the monthly book format is not working for me here. Even this issue, which did have some pivotal scenes, felt lacking to me. Everything seems to be moving along so slowly that every month I get to the end of the book and think "That's it?" So this is going to be my final issue. I may keep an eye out of the TPBs though as I am a little intrigued to see where everything is going.

So that's it for this week's comics. I also finally finished all 10 volumes of the Sandman. Wow! That series has a lot to absorb. Feel free to let me know what you've been reading.

No comments: