Friday, March 20, 2009

Weekly Comic Reviews for March 18th, 2009 -- SPOILERS

Let's get right to it shall we...

Angel #19 -- I liked Kelley Armstrong and Dave Ross's first issue much more than the first 17 and I think this one may have been slightly better. I think the storytelling, the art, the flow, the dialogue everything seems to be working better for me. It's not really blowing me away mind you but I'm enjoying it. I've already pretty much decided I'll be dropping the series after issue 22 but I think I'll enjoy these last few issues.

Mysterius the Unfathomable #3 (of 6)-- I think I forgot to list this one in my monthlies last month. I guess it's because it's only been a few issues and I have a crappy memory. So my apologies for that. I found this issue to be packed with stuff being hurtled about at a very fast pace. And it works for the most part but I did have times where I had to go back and forth to figure out who was saying what, there were times I found that there was just so much crammed into it. But it worked well in giving a sense of urgency to the characters and the story. And Tom Fowler's artwork lends itself well to this kinda out there story and unique characters. I feel I should point out that one of the main reasons I started picking up this series is because Tom is a friend of a friend of mine but I've been pleasantly surprised by how much I'm enjoying it.

I also polished off two TPBs in the past week. Powers Vol 12 and Planetary Vol 1. Some quick comments on both but be warned MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW!!!

Powers vol 12 -- I'm rather happy that Deena is powerless by the end of this story, I really didn't like having her and Walker being powers. Though obviously her powers were a bit different than your standard ones. Anywho, it was a very intense chapter for Powers but a very well done one.

Planetary vol 1 -- I don't really know why I picked this up, I just noticed it on Amazon and remembered so many people talking about it in the past and thought "what the heck." On the one hand I like the writing and Cassaday's art is great (though I find he's improved a lot since this first volume) but on the other hand, I found myself shrugging off some of the "twists". The "tie" to Crisis/JLA/multi-world stuff, Doc Savage, Godzilla, the FF, the Hulk,... it just felt a little "done before" to me. But the main story of the Planetary themselves is interesting and I'm curious to see where it goes. The fact that it's only 27 issues/4 TPBs also probably helps, if it was ongoing I might not be as interested to see where it goes.

I think that's it for now. :)

No comments: