Friday, February 16, 2007

Weekly Comic Reviews February 14, 2007 -- SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Only one book to review so this should be quick. :) Only Astonishing X-Men #20 and I'll make it quick. But be warned, I'm going to talk about the final page of the issue so there will be spoilers.

Astonishing X-Men #20 -- What can I say about this series that I haven't already said. I'm a Whedon fan so perhaps I'm slightly biased but this issue seemed particularly good. I have found Cassaday's art to miss the mark slightly in previous issues but that wasn't the case here. I found everything from the script to the final art pretty solid. I was enjoying it all and then that last page hit and some confusion set in. Ord was sent to Earth to stop the mutant responsible for Breakworld's eventual destruction and all he knew was that it was a mutant. Then the last page hits and we see Colossus' image in the stone wall. Thinking back in this issue, one of the Breakworld's inhabitants mentions to their ruler that people saw Colossus and mentions that people said he resembled the mutant in question (or maybe I mis-read that part and they only know that he resembled the mutant that the king was looking for but that doesn't seem to make much sense). So that raises the question, why did Ord only know that it was a mutant? Or was that all he was saying to the humans and is there more to Colossus' resurrection? I surely hope so because otherwise it seems odd that Ord would have been kept from seeing Colossus' image (albeit somewhat abstract but c'mon, even Ord would have been smart enough after seeing that and seeing Colossus that there was a connection, it even depicted his red and yellow costume). But then again, Ord seemed genuinely surprised previously when he was told that it was Colossus who would destroy Breakworld after Ord himself was the one to bring him back from the dead. So yeah, that part of the book is now eating away at me. And unfortunately it looks like I'll have to wait until May to figure it out.

No comments: