Monday, June 09, 2008

Weekly Recap/Rant/Ramblings/Whatever...

Well, I hope everyone had a good weekend. Mine was a bit of a mix. Brunch on Saturday was a complete bust. I had hoped someone I met at the comic shop would be able to go but she had said she was busy on Saturday so it was just going to be me and my friend who works at the comic shop. Unfortunately, there was a bit of confusion on his part as to what day we were going or what day it was when he woke up. So it ended up just being me. But at least the food was pretty good. I also attended the end-of-season banquet for my ball hockey league on Saturday evening where my team named me "Team MVP" for the season. I'm flattered but it's pretty clear the only reason I won was because our top three players all missed quite a few games during the season. So it was more of a "win by default". And I ended up seeing Iron Man for the second time on Sunday. Enjoyed it just as much the second time. But enough about me...

First up, I want to talk about the latest Incredible Hulk commercial that I've been told aired during last night's basketball game. I'll try to avoid the spoilers but let's just say the commercial shows a very important cameo that I'm led to believe happens at the end of the movie. On the one hand, I can see why the studio would decide to do this. It generates interest in a movie that I don't hear too many people talking about at the moment (at least in my neck of the woods and in terms of non-comic fans). But on the other hand, it's spoiling a huge surprise. And in my opinion, the fact that not many people are talking about this movie has a lot to do with their marketing. Now I've read a bit about the whole Edward Norton disagreement and losing him for the marketing was huge. And it's one of the reasons I think the marketing is failing. Nobody seems to be taking up the torch for this movie. People I talk to about it usually reply with "Well, I didn't like the first one" and nobody seems to be getting the news that this is a reboot. New cast, new director, new approach,... all new. I really do hope this movie succeeds but I have a bad feeling at the moment.

Secondly, I had hoped to talk about TPBs VS monthlies VS webcomics and where I see my future of comic reading but unfortunately, I only have time for one rambling at the moment as work is calling for my attention. So I still plan to ramble about it but it'll have to be some other time.

So how was your weekend? :)

No comments: