Thursday, January 07, 2010

Weekly Comic Review for January 6th, 2010

No new books came out for me. So instead, I'll give a quick blurb about other comics I've been reading lately (in trade paperback).

Jack of Fables volumes 1-6 -- I didn't expect to enjoy this series as much as I enjoy Fables, Jack didn't seem to be one of my top characters from that series. But thanks to a strong supporting cast and some great writing, I really enjoyed it. A lot more than I thought I would. The Pathetic Fallacy and Babe the Blue Ox are two of my favourites. I was surprised that the story starts going into so much of the Fables backstory/universe, I would have expected that to come up more in the main Fables series. I also don't really know how I feel about where that part of the story is going but I guess I'll know more after reading the Great Fables Crossover. In the end though, a great series and another book to add to my trade paperback purchasing.

Logicomix -- I suppose I'm a bit of a math geek. Not a huge math geek but I do have a bit of a background in the field. So the math behind the story did interest me. For non-math geeks, it may be a little daunting. But this book about some of the people behind the math and the people behind this book itself is a compelling character story. I was entirely sucked into their world and the people. It admittedly varies from history in some parts for artistic license type reasons but I'm glad they admit to it and point out some of their "changes". If you have a math history and enjoy comics, buy this book. If you enjoy comics and can look beyond the math, you'll still get an amazing story. Really great work.

No comments: