Monday, October 15, 2007

Weekly Comic Reviews for October 10th, 2007 -- SPOILERS

Wow! I'm really falling behind on these reviews aren't I? And it's not even like I get all that many books. This week it was only 3 regular books. I also picked up Hellboy volume 6 and Monster volume 6 (which means I can now read 7 and 8 as well). But those reviews will have to wait for another day. The three for this week are: Runaways #28, Marvel Adventures Hulk #4, Captain Carrot and the Final Ark #1 (yes, it was a weird selection this week). So let's get to this as I have to make this rather short.

Runaways #28 -- First up, the time between issues is really hurting this book. With an abundance of new characters to get to know with weird names I find it hard to keep track with months between each issue. So I might be better off waiting for the TPB on this one. But after trying to bring up the previous issue in my mind (thanks to an okay recap at the beginning of this issue) I jumped into this comics. It's another very interesting and very funny ("He makes you do chores?", oh Molly, so young and so innocent) issue with some intriguing build up to something. I can't wait to see where this goes next. Unfortunately, I have to wait. Great writing, great art, what's not to love? So it makes my recommended reading list.

Marvel Adventures Hulk #4 -- Adequate art, decent storytelling, and definitely geared towards a not so fickle audience (ie, kids). I mean c'mon, Multiple Man diverting an avalanche like that? I know, I can't criticize the book for that and I'm not really. Just trying to be funny there. I'm just glad that Marvel is still trying to make comics that appeal to a younger audience. I got started in comics at a young age and I've been disappointed how North American comics weren't giving today's youngsters the same opportunity. So yeah, for a younger audience, I recommend Marvel Adventures Hulk.

Captain Carrot and the Final Ark #1 -- You're probably wondering why I bought this. Well, as a kid Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew was a favourite of mine. So it was mostly to relive some of my childhood and all that. The problem, this book doesn't bring back the good memories. I didn't realize what DC had done with the characters when they included a few pages of them in some Teen Titans books. Little Cheese murdered by teammate Alley-Kat-Abra because "cats hate mice"? Ugh! I gotta say, I know they are "parodying" the darker comics and all but I just can't get myself to like this spin on it. It's just another part of my childhood trampled on. Even though I see quite a few positive reviews of this book it doesn't make my recommended reading list. I'll admit, a lot of people might enjoy it but I'm just too hurt right now.

So that's it for this week... Or should I say last week. :)

No comments: