Friday, October 05, 2007

Weekly Comic Reviews for October 3rd, 2007

Yeah, I know I missed last week. But last week the only book I picked up though was volume 7 of the Walking Dead. And this week was pretty slim with just Buffy #7 coming out. I'm a little pressed for time so here goes...

Buffy The Vampire Slayer #7 -- The artwork was okay in this issue but I still don't like how Faith is drawn. Something about her just doesn't work for me. But I was able to look past it for the most part. The book continues to flow nicely and is well written. Vaughan is really doing a great job of storytelling as well as getting into the characters. This storyline reminds me of just how complex Faith is and how we still really haven't scratched the surface to this character. This series continues to make my recommended reading list.

The Walking Dead Volume 7 -- I'm glad that I decided to stick with the TPBs for this series as it seems rather slow moving. I don't know if I'd have the patience if I was having to only get a small snippet of the story every month (or longer due to the delays). But there are a few bursts of thrills and chills throughout this volume. A few characters continue their deterioration while others seem to be settling in to their new lives. But of course, just as things seem to be going quiet the crap hits the fan. Unfortunately, you have to wait for volume 8 to actually see the crap fly. The characterization and dialogue really draws you in to the story by making you feel for these survivors though it's this characterization and lengthy dialogue that also tends to slow things down a bit. So it's not all out zombie action but what I consider a well crafted story. I'm really eager to see what happens next. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll be waiting a while for volume 8 (currently scheduled for January I believe). So it makes my recommended reading list with the caveat that I don't consider it a typical zombie storyline, so if that's what you're looking for this isn't it.

No comments: