Friday, January 18, 2008

Weekly Comic Reviews for January 18th, 2008 -- SPOILERS

I picked up a whopping 4 books this week so let's just get to it...

Angel: After the Fall #3 -- The biggest detractor for this book is still the art. Not only do I find the character likenesses off but sometimes the overall story telling just isn't there. The panel with the dragon spitting out Illyria had me confused for a bit, my first thought was that she somehow popped out of its chest/stomach. The writing is pretty solid though as this issue seems to answer a few things and take a couple twists and turns along the way. I was a little confused as to the time jumping and why Angel wouldn't say that he saw Illyria (it's not like it would be something new for Wes unless something else is going on). But I have to admit, I did not see that ending coming and I just though "Wow!" Suddenly I can't wait to read the next issue and the book inches it's way back up to my recommended reading list. Though obviously it's only really for Angel fans and even they may get turned away by the art.

World War Hulk: The Warbound #2 -- The main portion of this book was okay. The art was pretty solid for the most part (though I do have a complaint or two that I won't go into) and the writing was okay. But the overall story seemed somewhat lacking. The Leader quickly disappears and we're left with giant mutant bugs. Kinda cool I guess. And then a huge mutation of townspeople at the end. Meh. Hiroim shines in this book as his character is given the meaty parts. He shines even more in the second part of the book, a flashback to why he is "Hiroim the Shamed". I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this guy. Overall, although it's a pretty solid book I can't really see recommending it. For the most part because I really only see it appealing to Hulk fans and more importantly, Hulk fans who are fans of the Planet Hulk storyline. And even for them, it's not required reading. So perhaps it's something to check out to see if it's your cup of tea or if you're just looking for something to read.

The Incredible Hercules #113 -- Wow! Does Ares ever come off as a b*****d in this issue. I've found that generally, I still can't get a grasp of this character. In some stuff I've read he's a moron. Here, he's actually pretty smart but hellbent on killing Hercules which doesn't seem to fit for me either. They don't see eye to eye but this seemed somewhat extreme. But that confusion aside, the book is pretty well done with some nice moments and cool Hercules action (with the tease of a lot more to come). The art isn't the greatest and I barely recognized Ares on the first few pages but it gets the job done for the most part. I'm still disappointed that they decided to make this book Hercules' book with Banner (and another Hulk) running around in the other series but I guess life goes on. Overall, I'd put this in my marginally recommended reading list. Definitely not a must read but a good Herc story for fans of the character.

World of Warcraft #4 -- I have to say that I think this issue was an improvement and possibly a turning point in the series for me. The first 3 issues didn't impress me too much but now that the story seems to be growing it's finally starting to catch my interest. I'm still not the biggest fan of the art or anything but I suppose it could be a lot worse and for the most part, it gets the job done here. It's too early for this series to make it's way on to my recommended reading list but this issue helps it along. Plus, it had an advertisement for the new Dragonlance DVD which I didn't know about until now. :)

So that's it for my weekly comics. I did read through the new crop of Zuda Comics but I don't have time for the reviews at the moment. Though at the moment, I'm not feeling particularly great about this batch. Hopefully as I let them sink in something will come up.

Speaking of Webcomics I figure I should pass along a few links. This first one is a collection of resources to help you get started on your webcomic by Laura Milligan, it was pointed out to me on David Gallaher's High Moon Blog. The second contains some tips to marketing your comic now that you made it. Perhaps one day when I have something I feel is worthy of marketing I'll make use of those tips. :)

Which leads me to talk about Divine Leap. I haven't mentioned it in a while so maybe I should. Yes, I'm still trudging along on it. I'm currently working on issue 3 of chapter 2 with the entire issue being a test to see if I can get used to using a Tablet. I'm still not 100% happy with the result but then again, I never am. But I did get added to the Favorites List of two more DrunkDuckers which brings me up to a whopping 13. The reason I bring this up is because I was falling into another one of those "why do I bother?" periods where I question whether I should keep it going or not. At the moment, I'm pushing myself along because I just don't want to give up. But who knows, when I get to the end of chapter 2 I might feel that that's enough or at least that I need a break from it.

Enough babbling, I need to get back to work. See ya next week!

No comments: