Monday, April 28, 2008

Weekly Recap

My ball hockey team got absolutely decimated yesterday so let's talk about other things. :)

Over on Occasional Superheroine two posts in particular caught my eye, a discussion of the new Dark Knight poster (and possible allusions to 9/11) and the new Supergirl comic for young readers. On the Dark Knight poster, I have to admit that when I saw the gaping hole in the building images from 9/11 did enter my brain. Though I don't think it was intentional on their part and I don't expect all movie makers to try and avoid anything that could possibly make anyone think of 9/11 (because lets face it, that would be impossible) I've accepted it as a fact of life that some things will remind me of it. And so long as it's not over the top I'll just live with it. As for the new Supergirl design, although I like Dean Trippe's take on the character I do like this one. I think it fits better with the style of the other DC kids books and will probably fit the stories they are going to tell better. Though if they ever do a Supergirl storybook I'd go with Dean Trippe's version. And I have to say I'm happy that they've decided to give her tights under her skirt.

Also on Occasional Superheroine, as the media blitz for Iron Man continues we see even Vogue magazine jumping in. But what actually caught my attention was this interview by USA Weekend with Gwyneth Paltrow, Liv Tyler, and Maggie Gyllenhaal and this quote in particular: "Comic books are still for boys." I know, I'm sort of taking the quote out of context (I don't expect any of them to start buying comics just because they acted in a comic book movie) but I still hate how comics are seen that way by so many people.

It's odd, I can't think of much else to say about this past week. It seems a lot of the news is still about interviews and such that went on at New York Comic Con or, of course, Secret Invasion which I'm not particularly interested in. Oh well, let me know what comic news caught your attention last week.

No comments: