Friday, October 09, 2009

Weekly Comic Reviews for October 7th, 2009 -- May Contain SPOILERS

Only one book this week, which may be one more than I pick up next week.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer #29 -- Perhaps I should hold off reviews on this book until this storyline is over as it seems to have lost me a while back. Though I didn't find this book as bad as some of its predecessors in this storyline, I still wasn't into it. The problems for me continue in terms of the writing and the art. I just don't find it's a well done comic. There are too many times I don't know who's talking (pulling too far back showing only cartoony characters that all look the same with their army gear on, it's annoying to figure out who's saying what). And things just seem to be fumbling along making the story seem stretched out as we wait for a climax. The whole army versus powerless slayers and werewolves is definitely something they couldn't have done in the TV show and perhaps that contributes to this not really feeling like a Buffy story in some ways. Yeah, I'm really not digging this book right now. I hope it comes together after this arc is over and we start looking at the climax of season 8. I think for season 9 I'll be going the TPB route (waiting for reviews before picking it up).

I also picked up a few other books on Amazon, Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, Oz: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Locke and Key vol 2 (which I was disappointed to find had several pages glued together), and the Umbrella Academy: Dallas. I've only read Locke and Key and the Superman one so far so I have some reading to do this weekend.

No comments: