Friday, August 18, 2006

A few things

I have a few things to rant/talk about so I'll try to make each of them short. First up, my weekly comics review and this week it was only one book (as I wasn't able to track down Hip Flask: Mystery City yet).

The Great and Secret Show #5: The art continues to be great. The writing is great. The cover (which I have failed to bring up for the previous issues) is great. I'm really enjoying this series and feel it's doing a great job of bringing the novel to a new medium. My only gripe, with the length of time between issues and the story containing several characters all intertwining it can be hard to remember where things left off in the last issue. You usually remember the big cliffhanger ending but not where all the little subplots left off. So maybe this is one area where converting a novel to a monthly comic might falter slightly. But it could be easily fixed by me digging out the last issue or just waiting until I have the series (or at least a few issues) before I read them all at once. Anyways, still enjoying this book a lot.

Second up, another mention of girl-wonder.org. As Carl and Dave R have learned, I've been kinda hooked on lurking around in their forums for the last little bit. It really has been an eye opening experience and has really made a difference in how I read and look at comics. And it's made me re-think a few things in my own webcomic (mostly around the character Syarah). Unfortunately some of it I can't change at the moment (as I made the decision right from the start to just keep moving forward and not look back or else I'd never be satisfied with issue 1) but as I'm filling in some of the dialogue to issue 7 (which I just started posting on Drunk Duck) I've made a few changes here and there.

And in a rather weird twist, I move now to the rock band Kiss. I heard a short time ago that a somewhat large group of Kiss fans marched to the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame to protest the fact that they've been elligible since 1999 but have never been inducted. Some say that they weren't talented and were just a "circus act" or what have you but as a Kiss fan I say look at their 30 year track record. Look at their album sales. Look at their sold out concerts over those 30 years. Look at their merchandise sales. Look at people they've influenced from Tommy Lee and Motley Crue to Tone Loc to Garth Brooks. Sure, they focussed on putting on a "show" for their fans with the make up, the fireworks, the blood, but that's part of Rock 'n' Roll (in large part to Kiss).

And my final thought, this is the first time that fans of a rock 'n' roll band have marched on the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame to protest. To me, that says something right there. That a band can be around for 30 years and carry enough fans that are passionate about them to protest is a pretty big indication of the impact they've had on rock 'n' roll.

I think there was something else I wanted to rant about but it's not coming to me at the moment. Oh well, couldn't have been important (like any of the above is).

No comments: