Friday, February 15, 2008

Weekly Comic Reviews for February 13th, 2008 -- SPOILERS

Only two books this week and only one was a regular one. So let's get down to reviewing Marvel Adventures Hulk #8 and The Spirit #13 (which actually came out at least a week ago).

Marvel Adventures Hulk #8 -- I'm still enjoying this series for what it is, a lighter take on the character that makes him available to a younger audience. And with the Hulk out of commission in the regular universe and the Jeph Loeb book delayed it's all I have of the character for the moment. So yeah, the book continues to succeed in just being a fun book to read and not take too seriously. Ignore continuity, don't worry about making the character or story mature, and throw in a lesson to the kiddies. Yet it still holds true to the characters. The art continues to be okay and match the target audience. Sure, there are some panels where the Hulk's hands tend to look too small or the panel of Namor with a squinty face, it took me a while before it dawned on me who he reminded me of but now I remember, it's Jeff Dunham's puppet Walter (feel free to look him up on google or youtube). Anyhow, it's still a fun read so it makes my recommended reading list. Though I know the more "mature" readers out there might not get much out of it.

The Spirit #13 -- I know I tried this series out a while back and gave it up but when I heard the writer was leaving with issue 12 and issue 13 was going to be an assortment of creators doing short stories I decided to pick them up. Unfortunately I missed issue 12 though. :) Issue 13 was a fun enough read and harkens back to the classic Eisner short stories. They're simple stories that just flow instead of looking to bombard the reader with over the top muscles/action/whatever else. So it was a fun book to read. Overall it actually makes my recommended reading list.

So that's it for another week of not many comics. I also "finished" Strangers in Paradise. I say "finished" because I skipped over the Molly and Poo stuff. I do plan on going back to reading it but I heard it wasn't important for the Katchoo/Francine story and it felt like it was just getting in the way of the story I wanted to read. I also polished off another volume of Ex Machina (volume 5 to be exact). Both, Strangers in Paradise and Ex Machina, also make my recommended reading list. This weekend is going to be a busy one with my aunt and uncle coming for a visit and me wanting to finish off issue 3 of Divine Leap (somewhat unlikely but I have high hopes).

See ya next week all!

No comments: