Monday, May 19, 2008

My Weekly Recap

Well, I'm trying to enjoy my day off but it hasn't gotten off to a very good start. But that's because of a personal matter that I won't rant about here so that's all I'll say about that. So let's talk comics...

Iron Man continues to thrive at the box office. I'm only mildly surprised by just how well it's doing. At first I thought the character wouldn't be able to match Spider-Man or Superman numbers but I think they went the right route by advertising the heck out of it. Even people who had no idea who Iron Man was were becoming interested in the movie. Plus, it's simply a well done movie. Great actors who really want to do the movie and a director who's passionate about the character.

And now the advertising for the Incredible Hulk is starting to get a bit more aggressive with actual TV shots popping up. You can already see that footage is still being worked on as clips from the first trailer have already been tweeked (such as the shot of the Hulk roaring before confronting the Abomination, he now has the remains of a shirt still wrapped around him). As a Hulk fan I'm really looking forward to this but I also have reservations over just how well it will be received. The first Hulk movie (which I actually enjoyed but understand what people didn't like about it) left a bad taste in many people's mouths. But at least they've given the fans one thing they wanted, a good ol' Hulk fight with another (bigger) monster.

The reviews for Indiana Jones don't seem all that promising. Many of the reviews I've seen make it out to be just a ho-hum movie. To be honest, that's all I'm expecting and I don't know why that is.

Going back to one of my previous rants about comic delays, I guess someone brought this up with Dan Didio at a convention and Didio used the audience to show that the majority of fans are against using fill in teams of artists and/or writers to keep a book monthly. I do agree to a point here. For many stories I do prefer the continuity of a writer/artist team. I'm glad that Marvel didn't throw in another artist for Civil War or for the Ultimates. But on the other hand, that doesn't really excuse the problem in my mind. It still often boils down to poor planning on their part. These major storylines should be planned out well in advance and given adequate time to finish. Then, when the schedule is set and announced you should stick to it or at least be open with fans as to why instead of quietly pushing back dates. Don't sluff it off and say "Oh, we don't want to disrupt the flow of the story" or whatever. Don't let it get that far and you won't have to worry about disrupting anything.

I guess that's all I have to rant about for this week (for now at least). Now I'm off to relax a bit more and hopefully get some more drawing done. Cheers!

No comments: