Monday, February 02, 2009

Ramblings...

Moving on...

Until the buses get back up and running my ability to pick up and review my regular monthly books remains up in the air. So hopefully once we get enough buses running next week I'll be able to make it to my comic store on a semi-regular basis. I had been hoping to get down there this past Saturday as Tom Fowler was signing copies of his new book, "Mysterius the Unfathomable", but it wasn't to be.

So let's talk about what other books I've been reading in TPB form. We have the latest volume of The Walking Dead (volume 9), a really moving volume after the events of the previous one. This series continues to be engaging and keeps me guessing as to what will happen next. Then we have Powers, I'm still waiting on volume 5 but the first four were a great mix of... well, pretty much everything you'd want. I laughed, I cried, I loved it more than Cats... Okay, that's a lie, I don't love anything more than Cats.

A friend is also lending me the Sandman TPBs and I've been making my way through them. I'm currently on volume 7. Engaging stories but not exactly an easy comic to breeze through, it seems no matter how hard I try it feels like I'm missing story elements.

I also picked up the first volume of Locke and Key after hearing much buzz about this book. I liked Gabriel Rodriguez's art on the Great and Secret Show, at first I didn't think I would but the style really seems to fit these weird horror type stories. And it continues to be great here. The story is well crafted and I'm really happy to hear it will be continuing, I'd hate to have it end where it did.

Hmm... I'm sure there's more stuff I've been reading since I last posted but I can't think of what at the moment.

As an aside, webcomics seems to be becoming a hot topic at the moment. Either it's because of the economy, Diamond's announcement of raising their benchmark, or something else, or maybe it's just time for the comic news media to talk about it again. Hopefully I'll be able to assemble my thoughts on the topic soon, whether it's about people trying to make a living off webcomics, or just seeing them as a stepping stone to "real"/print comics, or how many webcomics just get deserted (possibly linked to the first point), or just what webcomics I recommend (though that didn't go so well last time).

That's it for now. Take care!

No comments: