Friday, February 05, 2010

Weekly Comic Reviews for February 3rd, 2010

Well, I had one book come out this week. It doesn't look like I have any for next week but it's all good because some of the TPBs I ordered are starting to come in. So I'll just review those... And maybe a few webcomics or something.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer #32 -- Right away I felt this book was written by someone who is more adept at writing for the comics medium. It just felt smoother, more right, and easier to read. As for the story, it felt a bit like a first issue and a slow one at that. Some jokes get dragged out a bit, they introduce us to the new status quo in some ways but also feel a bit long. And there's the Kittty Pryde humour that was a little too in your face in my mind considering it may have missed the mark on a fair amount of the audience. Having said all that, it did feel like a better issue than it has been and I did enjoy it. The art didn't really blow me away and I felt there was a few areas where it could have been better but overall, it told the story effectively. In the end, I think this gives me hope for Meltzer's run on the book.

And on the TPB side of things...
Chew Volume 1 -- A lot of people seemed to be saying how great this series was so I decided to give it a try. When I first heard the general idea I thought it was somewhat interesting but wondered where they'd go with it. I was pleasantly surprised with the direction it took. The series is well written and has a lot of unique ideas to it (and some only "mildly unique", but still good). The book and story flows well and keeps your interest throughout. And the art style definitely fits the book, it has a lot of energy and it tells the story very effectively. So a very solid book and definitely worth some praise. And yet in the end, I don't know if I was completely sold on it. I'm not sure what it was, the writing was good and the art was solid, yet I'm not completely sold on picking up another volume. I may if I'm looking for something to read but I guess in the end, the story just wasn't something I was looking to read, at least at the moment. It's a book I'd recommend reading but I'm not sure if I'll continue or not. If that makes any sense. :)

No comments: