Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Quick Comic Reviews - Captain Marvel Volume 1: In Pursuit of Flight

That new Iron Man 3 kicks some serious butt. Really looking forward to it and I hope it's as good as it seems. I was talking to Meaghan over on her blog about how Marvel doesn't really have the best track record when it comes to third movies (X-Men, Spider-Man, and Blade for example) but this one is looking pretty good.

Captain Marvel Volume 1: In Pursuit of Flight -- Kelly Sue DeConnick has been working hard to create something special on this book, especially in terms of connecting with fans. And she seems to have amassed a decently sized army, and I don't have any numbers to back it up but based on her tweets it has a strong female presence unlike the vast majority of other comics out there. So based on this following (and how friendly she was when my brother and I met her a couple years back at Fan Expo Canada) I decided to check it out for myself.

We'll start with the good. It's well written. It introduces Carol Danvers and establishes her currently changing status-quo to new readers while (I think) not alienating existing fans of the character. It's a classic example of a superhero story really being a character piece. And the art is very good, every page is crammed with so much great work while maintaining the readability. It's a style that may not work for some, I've read a fair amount of negativity around it that could be considered valid, but I enjoyed it.

But, as for the bad, I'd have to admit it's just not a book for me. I know this is going to sound bad, and it probably is bad (either it says something about me or whatever), but I have to be honest. Despite comics (especially "mainstream" comics) being very much a "boy's club" in many ways and despite comics needing books like this that focus on strong female characters, I just find a book that focuses as heavily on it as this one does is not for me. So maybe if I had unlimited funds or if I start to notice that there's been a shift in the story or maybe if I just don't have anything else to read at some point then I may check out volume 2 but otherwise, probably not.

I'm definitely not regretting checking this volume out though. It is still a very well done comic and a good story. It was just one of those "not really for me" type things.

Wow! Maybe I need to rethink calling these "quick" comic reviews. :)

No comments: