Friday, May 01, 2009

Weekly Comic Reviews for April 29th, 2009 -- SPOILERS

Before I get to the reviews, as I was waiting for my bus yesterday I saw a young blind woman trying to get on another bus. As she was trying to feel her way on to the bus three, yes three, people decided to cut in front of her, bumping her seeing eye dog out of their way as they did so. I thought about getting on the bus just to give these people a piece of my mind but I hesitated and the bus left. Some times I really do want to believe in karma.

On to the reviews.

Skaar #10 -- At least they shortened the title and dropped the "Son of Hulk" which I didn't really care for anyways. On the positive side of things, I'm still liking Ron Lim's art over Garney's. I have liked a lot of Garney's work but something just wasn't working here. As for the story, there seemed to be a lot going on and at times it was hard to follow. I may have to go back and re-read it and I'm not sure that's a good thing. But even despite that, there's the feeling that there's a good story going on and we're getting to see some development in Skaar. I'm looking forward to seeing his upcoming adventures on Earth given where he is (character wise) at the moment. I don't know if it makes my recommended reading list but I'm sticking with it for the time being.

Runaways 3 #9 -- I have to go back on some things I've said in past reviews for this series. We now learn that something is going on with Nico and where it started. And I'm happy about that. I did prefer the art here to Humberto Ramos'. I was surprised that Moore is leaving the series with a lot of loose ends (especially with Nico) but I think that's good, it creates more of a continuing story. Overall, although Moore didn't really knock my socks off with his run on the book I think it is in a good place right now and I'm looking forward to what comes next. And I liked the little bit of dialogue at the end as the kids were playing their games. But you'd have to read it, I couldn't do it justice here.

Ultimate Wolverine Vs Hulk #5 -- Well, at least they're acknowledging how much they are jumping back and forth in time for this book. I saw one review where someone was pointing out how frustrating it is that we have a series titled "Ultimate Wolverine VERSUS Hulk" and other than the Hulk ripping Wolverine in half, we haven't really seen much of the "versus" portion of that. I don't think that bugs me so much but it is noticeable. As for this issue, Leinil Yu continues to provide great art for this series and I actually found this issue a little less irritating with the flashback/flashforward writing as we seem to be moving in a more forward direction now. I am looking forward to seeing how everything comes to its conclusion and maybe in the end, the TPB will be worth recommending. But overall, I thought this was a good issue.

I also picked up a few TPBs yesterday with Astounding Wolf-Man Vol 2 and Planetary Volumes 2, 3 and the Crossing Worlds TPB. As well as the Marvel 70th Anniversary special which might be worth checking out for people who don't want to spend the money on the Marvel Chronicles (though to be fair, I'm only saying that based on a brief flip through of both books, I haven't looked at either in great detail yet). I haven't got to read those yet (other than half of the Wolf-Man TPB which I stopped upon seeing Invincible since I haven't got the latest TPB of that series and I don't want anything spoiled for me) but perhaps I'll post reviews when I do. But then again, I say that a lot about the TPBs and don't get around to posting reviews so don't hold your breath. :)

And congratulations to the creative team behind Earthbuilders on Zuda. Even though it didn't get my vote it looks like it's going to be a very well done webcomic which I'll have to check out when more pages get posted.

No comments: